Why use more than one node

Discussions about design and architecture principles, including native JADE systems and JADE interoperating with other technologies
concord

Why use more than one node

Postby concord » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:42 pm

If a system is hosted on a single server is there any reason to run more than one node?

I've been running a singleUser app server for ever, unless I wanted to spread load onto another server I see very little reason in using JadeRAP at all.

Thoughts?

ghosttie

Re: Why use more than one node

Postby ghosttie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:51 am

Having a database server would allow you to use jadload etc. in multi-user mode
I have a catapult. Give me all the money or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

BeeJay

Postby BeeJay » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:09 am

If you have no reason for running a JadRap, such as multi-user utilities etc, then there is little or no benefit for you in running a JadRap process. If you need to run things like SDS or RPS, then I think you have to run a JadRap currently for that to work. Also, if you want to use the fat client ODBC driver for user queries then you also need a JadRap process for them to connect to. Other than that, assuming you don't need to spread your users across multiple nodes, for a very large number of concurrent users, you'll probably never need to use a JadRap process.

Cheers,
BeeJay.

allistar

Postby allistar » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:15 am

An issue with running a single user app server is that you won't be able to isolate the caches of various clients. E.g. if you have clients that require large images you would normally put them in a separate app server so it doesn't fill or spill the transient cache for other users. Using multiple app servers is also a good way to improve security between users and support/developers (via [JadeAppServer] EnableAppRestrictions). E.g. users connect to the main app server which has the apps locked down, support and dev connect to a support a different app server and access to this is controlled via firewall rules.

I would expect a single user app server to perform considerably better as there's fewer hops from disk to node, and locking semantics are most likely modified.

concord

Postby concord » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:43 am

Thanks for the feedback.

We switched JadeRAP off about 15 years ago! Back then there certainly was a noticeable performance boost.

Ty

Postby Ty » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:16 pm

I'll just chime in with some reasons that haven't been mentioned.

The database server is 64-bit only. You may have a 32-bit .Net or ActiveX component for which there is no 64-bit equivalent. Thus, you require a 32-bit app server.

Another reason you might choose to run app servers is system resilience. You may encounter a bug, either in 3rd party software, or, heaven forfend JADE, which takes your app server down. Then you have two problems, one, reading your multi-terabyte database back into memory, and two, all your users have been kicked.

Performance isn't generally seen as a driving factor in the decision.

Return to “Design and Architecture”