Running Web Monitors on Local PC

Forums for specific tips, techniques and example code
advaro

Running Web Monitors on Local PC

Postby advaro » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:14 pm

Hi - we have 2 developers working on a web application, from home.

At the moment if we need to try work something out by inserting write statements, we just RDP onto the dev server and take a look at the Jade output viewer. But we can obviously only do this one at a time. You kick the other person out of the RDP session when you jump on.

I figured we should be able to run the web monitors local, that way any write statements will write to our local PC and we can both run one at the same time, and we would both see our own requests and write statements.
So made the change in code so anything that communicates with the jadehttp.dll does so using 127.0.0.1 when running in dev mode.

Works great. I can now start up the web monitor on my local PC and do all the usual stuff via the browser and all my write statements show on my PC so I don't need to hop on the server to see them.
Also works great for my colleague. He can do the same, run the monitor local and see the output on his PC.
But we can't do it at the same time. If we are both developing at the same time, all the requests from the browser go to the first monitor that started up.
So if I started the web app on my computer, all my colleagues requests are handled by my monitor, even though in his browser he is browsing to a 127.0.0.1 address. Somehow it gets handled on my web monitor literally at the other end of the country - not on any shared networks, WANs, VPN anything like that. That messes with my head...
If he starts up his web monitor at the same time it does nothing. All his requests still come to my PC. If I close my monitor, his monitor now handles all the browser requests.

How can I get our own local browsing to be handled by the web monitor running on our own computer? I would have thought browsing to 127.0.0.1 would have done that but clearly I am missing something.

Hope that all makes sense - any help would be greatly appreciated.

allistar

Re: Running Web Monitors on Local PC

Postby allistar » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:17 pm

Instead of relying on write statements I would use causeEvent to send a notification to an application running on your PC that writes out the text (or displays it in a UI you develop). This way you don't need to mess around with where jadehttp.dll runs from.

advaro

Re: Running Web Monitors on Local PC

Postby advaro » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:44 am

Brilliant! Much simpler and better idea, thanks heaps.

Return to “Tips and Techniques”