Jade Source Control using Git

The use of specific JADE features and proposals for new feature suggestions
JohnBeaufoy

Re: Jade Source Control using Git

Postby JohnBeaufoy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:59 am

For those interested in an update on this, the work is currently parked.

What could spring it back into life is an enhancement to the Jade product where a new type of file format is provided which does the job that scm and ddb files currently do. The ideal would be a readable/editable format which allowed for easy compares & merge of code and that largely ignored environmental info.

As per the demo it’s possible to roll our own format, but I’d just be concerned with the maintenance overhead and undocumented edge cases that may leave it unfit for commercial use.

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Hi All,

One of the cohorts John referred to in an earlier post here,

I've now converted my pet project for this to an open-source project, aptly called jade-git (borrowed for John's original video).

If you'd like to jump to the good bit, start with the latest project blog post which includes a link to a demo video :)

Cheers,
Kevin
Last edited by Kevin on Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

ghosttie

Postby ghosttie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:55 am

Interesting, how does it handle schema changes? Or is it source code only? (forgive me if that's explained in a readme somewhere that I haven't read)
I have a catapult. Give me all the money or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:53 am

By schema changes, I take it you're asking how are re-org's are handled without losing data due to rename's, etc ?

The aim is to make this work for environments with data in them, not just source code.

When retrieving/loading changes in from the git repo, it goes through a build process which compares one version to another. Using which, it constructs partial schema files, along with determining the JCF commands required for any renames, etc, that need to be performed before schema files are loaded and re-org subsequently performed.

ghosttie

Postby ghosttie » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:56 am

Nice
I have a catapult. Give me all the money or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Return to “Feature Discussions”