jadepg java

The use of specific JADE features and proposals for new feature suggestions
ConvertFromOldNGs

jadepg java

Postby ConvertFromOldNGs » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:59 am

by Tim M >> Sun, 9 Nov 2008 23:36:56 GMT

I not completely sure what the point of the jadepg.exe is. It would be nice to have something portable enough to run on anything that can run java. More specifically I'm interested in a way to run jade on apple mac.

ConvertFromOldNGs

Re: jadepg java

by Scott >> Mon, 10 Nov 2008 1:46:00 GMT

There also Linux version jadepg which may running with Intel Mac.

Please report success.

ConvertFromOldNGs

by Murray Symon >> Mon, 10 Nov 2008 6:47:21 GMT

Jade Portable GUI (jadepg/jadepg.exe) allows you to run applications developed for the standard Jade GUI on aother platforms, such as RedHat Linux. Portable GUI is implemented using Java runtime. The "jadepg.exe" on Windows allows you to run the apps as Portable GUI on the the Windows platform as well, e.g. for consistency. There are a few small differences between the standard Jade Windows GUI and the Java-based Portable GUI.

As far as I know Jade only release Portable GUI for Windows, RedHat and Suse Linux. There appear to be library dependencies, etc that result in it being difficult (and/or impossible from my experience) to install and run it under other different Linux distributions. So you may have difficulty on a Mac. It won't be supported by Jade.

My personal test system currently has Jade 6.1 running on CentOS (RedHat clone) within a VMware virtual machine. You could try that, if you only require it for non-production purposes.

Murray Symon.

ConvertFromOldNGs

by Dave >> Fri, 20 Mar 2009 2:15:09 GMT

If your willing to install the missing libraries and library versions, jadepg.sh technically run on Leopard, it is after all a Linux Kernel. Unless I'm mistaken.

Dave

ConvertFromOldNGs

by Brendan >> Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:43:07 GMT

Hi,
It might work, though I would suspect there may be problems.

Another solution which I haven't tried (don't have a MAC handy - but I would imagine it has a good chance of success) is to install VirtualBox (www.virtualbox.org) which is a high quality, open source virtualization product.

This would allow you to have the MAC as a host OS and install various guests like Windows XP or Vista (if you have a spare licence) or CentOS (for free) - CentOS uses RHEL as its upstream vendor) and run your thin client from either of those.

I use Virtual Box all the time and have tried Windows guest on a Linux host. This connects to a Jade server using Jade Smart Thin Client with no problems. Haven't tried the RHEL thin client on CentOS, virtualized or otherwise, but I don't see why it wouldn't work first time.

As an aside, Virtual Box also allows me to test out various configurations (eg SDS on Linux) all on a single laptop so is an extremely useful tool.

Cheers, Brendan

ConvertFromOldNGs

by Murray Symon >> Sat, 21 Mar 2009 2:41:22 GMT

I had no success at all trying to do this with several unsupported
Linux distros, including LFS which was entirely compiled from
original sources. The problem is that Jade compiles their own
libraries against very specific supported O/S builds (RH & SuSe). Nowadays I just run it on CentOS in a VMware virtual machine,
when I need to try something out and I'm not on my 'work' system.

Murray.

ConvertFromOldNGs

by Dave >> Fri, 20 Mar 2009 2:15:20 GMT

If your willing to install the missing libraries and library versions, jadepg.sh technically run on Leopard, it is after all a Linux Kernel. Unless I'm mistaken.

Dave

ConvertFromOldNGs

by Tim M >> Wed, 25 Mar 2009 9:29:48 GMT

A few years ago red hat was the way to do linux. These days ubuntu is in such strong use. I have tried jade on ubuntu using suse packages and it worked perfectly and red hat packes would probably work just as well. I have also tried running jade on gentoo and that worked perfectly but probably best not to support that. MacOSX does not run a linux kernel but its core os has a history derived from some other unix like operating systems, including various bsds and freebsd which is the most widely used bsd.

qemu, vmware and other vm box installations can have a big performance hit but usually always work. Freebsd has a linux binary compatible feature which can be enabled to allow approx 90% of linux binaries to run without recompiling. It would be interesting to know if macosx has a similar lightweight compatibility or any software that can offer that as it does include code from freebsd.

ConvertFromOldNGs

by Murray Symon >> Wed, 25 Mar 2009 9:53:12 GMT

Interesting. Did you have the Java-based Portable GUI Thin client (i.e. "jadepg") running on all those platforms? Or was it just the server?

Murray.

Return to “Feature Discussions”