Google Maps API Error

For questions and postings not covered by the other forums
rudzitis

Google Maps API Error

Postby rudzitis » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:32 am

Hello,

We are currently using IEFrame to handle google maps integration and its giving us the "You are not using a browser that is not supported by the Google Maps JavaScript API" error. We know that IE is no longer supported, however does anyone know of a workaround to allow the API to continue working? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

BeeJay

Re: Google Maps API Error

Postby BeeJay » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:21 am

Hi,

We were able to get our Google Maps integration working by setting up a reg_dword in FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION for jade.exe and setting it to 11000 decimal to force IE 11 to be used for the emulation mode, instead of the default IE 8 emulation mode.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION
Google_maps_registry_work_around.png
Google_maps_registry_work_around.png (33.02 KiB) Viewed 1817 times

You could try this on one of your machines to see if it corrects your usage of the Google Maps API. If it works, unfortunately you'll have to add this registry setting on all machines which run your application. If you Google FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION you'll find examples of how to achieve this using batch files, but the user will need admin rights on their Windows logon to adjust the registry settings on their machines.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
BeeJay.

Any thoughts expressed are my own and in no way reflect the views of my employer. If this reply includes any sample code, or other changes such as registry key settings, I believe that this information is accurate and reliable and has been prepared with care but give no guarantee that the sample code or suggested changes will be free of defects or errors. No responsibility or liability, financial or otherwise, is accepted for any consequences arising out of the use of any sample code, registry settings, etc including loss of profits, indirect, special or consequential losses or damages.

BeeJay

Postby BeeJay » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:22 am

PS: A Windows restart may be required to pick up the change.

rudzitis

Postby rudzitis » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:31 am

Thanks for the reply BeeJay. To clarify, would this need to be done on the thin client computer or app server?

BeeJay

Postby BeeJay » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:49 am

It needs to be done on each thin client machine as that is where the IE frame is being rendered. That's what I meant with the "unfortunately you'll have to add this registry setting on all machines which run your application" comment in my initial reply.

Cheers,
BeeJay.

rudzitis

Postby rudzitis » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:52 am

What' is the going forward solution when Microsoft cancel IE in June. Will this work with Edge? Microsoft has recommend WebView2, but this cannot be imported via Jade as GUI component.

BeeJay

Postby BeeJay » Tue May 10, 2022 2:27 pm

Out of interest, did you manage to find a way to get started with changing your code over to using WebView2 instead of Microsoft.Internet.Controls?

Cheers,
BeeJay.

Any thoughts expressed are my own and in no way reflect the views of my employer. If this reply includes any sample code, or other changes such as registry key settings, I believe that this information is accurate and reliable and has been prepared with care but give no guarantee that the sample code or suggested changes will be free of defects or errors. No responsibility or liability, financial or otherwise, is accepted for any consequences arising out of the use of any sample code, registry changes, etc, including loss of profits, indirect, special or consequential losses or damages.

mike.maynard

Postby mike.maynard » Thu May 19, 2022 1:48 pm

Out of interest, did you manage to find a way to get started with changing your code over to using WebView2 instead of Microsoft.Internet.Controls?

Cheers,
BeeJay.

I too am interested in this topic regards Microsoft "retiring" IE in June 2022. We use the Microsoft Internet Control WebBrowser control and I'm not sure what will happen going forward - anyone else facing this issue? What do you know about WebView2 Beejay? I might call you to discuss your understanding.
cheers Mike

BeeJay

Postby BeeJay » Thu May 19, 2022 2:08 pm

I too am interested in this topic regards Microsoft "retiring" IE in June 2022. We use the Microsoft Internet Control WebBrowser control and I'm not sure what will happen going forward - anyone else facing this issue? What do you know about WebView2 Beejay? I might call you to discuss your understanding.
cheers Mike

I hit the same initial issue as rudzitis with respect to trying to import WebView2. That's why I was wondering if they had made any further progress.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
Any thoughts expressed are my own and in no way reflect the views of my employer. If this reply includes any sample code, or other changes such as registry key settings, I believe that this information is accurate and reliable and has been prepared with care but give no guarantee that the sample code or suggested changes will be free of defects or errors. No responsibility or liability, financial or otherwise, is accepted for any consequences arising out of the use of any sample code, registry changes, etc, including loss of profits, indirect, special or consequential losses or damages.

Return to “General Discussion”