Finding an uncompleted Transaction State

For questions and postings not covered by the other forums
Stokes

Finding an uncompleted Transaction State

Postby Stokes » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:26 am

Something, somewhere is leaking a transaction state and I'm not sure on the best way to find this. We only get notified of this issue the next time they either showModal on a form (and they are in transaction state), or a message box pops up or if we try to start another transaction state. By that time the original problem has been and gone.

We haven't reimplmented beginTransaction, commitTransaction etc so I can't put logging in there for certain users that have this problem. Anyone got some bright ideas on how to find this?

BeeJay

Re: Finding an uncompleted Transaction State

Postby BeeJay » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:06 am

I'd start by looking for any exception handlers which return an Ex_Abort_Action without also aborting transaction state.

If you have any exception handlers that do this, then that could definitely result in the process being left in transaction state. Returning an Ex_Abort_Action would mean any commitTransaction or abortTransaction statements which are not in an epilog will not get executed as the stack gets cut back by the Ex_Abort_Action return. The process then has the potential to be left in transaction state unless it's an exception where the JOM will automatically abort the transaction itself, for referential integrity purposes, if your exception handler(s) don't abort the transaction.

Cheers,
BeeJay.

Stokes

Re: Finding an uncompleted Transaction State

Postby Stokes » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:40 am

great, thanks for that will try that one out as a starting point

Return to “General Discussion”