Error 1603

For questions and postings not covered by the other forums
JulianMeates

Error 1603

Postby JulianMeates » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:48 pm

I have a new PC, and a Server Running Jade 7.1.04, so I have installed 7.1.04 thin Client, but when it runs it says it needs to download a new version of the Thin Client, and then I click Okay, Then I get a Microsoft do you want to install, click yes, then get
The install file "C:\Jade\Jade7104_32\bin\vc_red,msi" failed, error 1603 Fatal error during installation. (1603)

I have tried the both the 32 and 64 bit versions, not sure what else to do.

Am running windows 10.

ghosttie

Re: Error 1603

Postby ghosttie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:40 am

Delete the following files from the application server's thin client download directory:

vc_red.cab
vc_red.msi
I have a catapult. Give me all the money or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

darrella

Postby darrella » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:56 pm

I'm having the same problem.

- I have the Jade 2016 database running on a machine with Windows 8.1 Pro. This same machine also has a Jade 2018 database.
- I have a new Windows 10 machine with the 2016 and 2018 thin clients installed.
- The 64x thin client connecting to the 2018 database works fine.
- The 64x thin client connecting to the 2016 database always downloads the latest version and tries to install vc_red.msi, which fails with the 1603 error.

I tried removing the "vc_red" cab and msi files from the thin client download directory, but the thin client just downloads them again and tries to install it.

If I manually try to run the vc_red.msi, I get an error saying "A later version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable - 10.0.30319 is already installed." - this seems to suggest that once I've upgraded a database to Jade 2018, I can no longer concurrently run a Jade 2016 client ?

BeeJay

Postby BeeJay » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:04 am

It seems like you may have the wrong version of the vc_red.msi files on the AppServer as Jade2016 uses the VC++ 2013 redistributables, not the VC++2010 redistributables. You may want to correct this anomaly on your AppServer configuration, or have your IT infrastructure team correct this if you don't have access to the server instance hosting your Jade database.

Having said that, we've had similar issues with some of our clients and also my laptop where the registry settings for the VC++ redistributables were not correctly setup, even though they were seemingly installed. Those clients addressed the issue by uninstalling and then reinstalling the redistributables. The same approach also corrected the issue on my laptop.

I've also seen a number of threads on StackOverflow and the likes where other non-Jade developers have been having similar issues with the VC++ registry settings not being correctly setup by some install packages causing issues with their setup tools attempting to reinstall the already installed packages. The common work-around seems to be manually uninstalling and reinstalling the relevant VC++ redistributables on affected machines.

Cheers,
BeeJay.

Return to “General Discussion”