Recovering lost source code

For questions and postings not covered by the other forums
saraha

Recovering lost source code

Postby saraha » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:47 am

Hi there,

Is there a utility/way to restore missing source code in a development environment in Jade 6.3?

Thanks
Sarah

Matthew

Re: Recovering lost source code

Postby Matthew » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:48 pm

Firstly welcome to the forums. I presume you have "lost" some of your current source in your Development environment.

Do you have a recent backup which would contain this source (Dev/Uat/Production environment) ?. If you do, have any changes been made to your development system since the backup was made. Is the source code in the backed up environment encrypted.

Answers to these questions will impact on a suggested action to attempt to recover your source code.

P.S. As a suggestion it may have been a better idea to start a new thread rather than replying to this older one.

[Edit by BeeJay, 15/07/2010]
I've split this topic and changed the Subject to more accurately reflect the question.

saraha

Postby saraha » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:22 pm

Hi Matthew,

Yes the source code has been lost and all recent systems have the source missing/encrypted. The only schema with source I can find is about a year old and I don't really know if there were any changes done since that time and hence my question if there is a way I can get the source back. I only started working for this client recently.

Thanks
Sarahs

BeeJay

Postby BeeJay » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:55 am

Unfortunately if you have truly lost your source code and only have systems where the source has been stripped, then you will not be able to recover your current source code.

You may be able to compare the timestamps of the methods in question from the system where you have source, from 1 year ago, to the systems where there is no source. If the timestamps match, then the method source is unlikely to have changed in the interim, but there can be no guarantees.

If the timestamps are different, then unfortunately it will not be possible to determine what has changed in those methods in the interim.

Cheers,
BeeJay.

Return to “General Discussion”