Massive TMP files filling up storage

For questions and postings not covered by the other forums
BeeJay

Re: Massive TMP files filling up storage

Postby BeeJay » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:12 pm

BTW the file is now 48.5GB since my last post. :D
Holy cow batman - 2.5 gigs of transients leaked in 1 day. I'd definitely be looking at following 0.0's suggestion and bouncing the owning process daily to avoid such large transient DB files getting created.

I'm assuming it's some form of background reporting/scheduling process rather than an interactive user process that is generating these transient leaks - or do your users stay logged on for days on end?

Cheers,
BeeJay.

JohnP

Postby JohnP » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:53 am

The [187.8] part of the filename indicates the process id. On the Users sheet of JADE Monitor, it will be the line identified by {8} in the User column. This allows you to indentify the application name, which should be useful to the vendor.

Postby 0.0 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:50 am

In addition to the good advice given by JohnP for identifying the application that is generating the file, you may also use the Jade Monitor to examine the contents of the file. Knowing the contents of the file will make it easier for the vendor to track down why transient instances of the *identified* classes are overflowing the transient cache into the transient database file.

I recommend that you perform this analysis of the transient file before the file gets too large (when is in the order of 1Gb, say. Perhaps in the evening following the evening that the server is restarted?).

To achieve this, right click the user/process (according to instruction provided by JohnP) and then select option "Transient Database File Analysis". When the report is displayed, right click the Details pane (I.e. the report). You can then select option "Copy Cell to Clipboard" and paste the transient file analysis report into MSWord and supply this to the vendor.

Return to “General Discussion”